Tweets, for your perusal...

    follow me on Twitter

    Like this blog? Help support it!

    Things I like on Etsy

    Friday, January 19, 2007

    Techno-cartography. Is that even a real word?

    Oh, speaking of maps, here's a bunch of amazing cartographic sites I've stumbled across lately.

    You simply must check out the Epact thumbnail search of 520 pre-1600 scientific instruments. Most of the photos enlarge if you click them and a great deal of detail can be seen in these astrolabes, sundials, surveying tools and more....

    I'd place an image from their site here, but they have some pretty stringent usage rights. So you'll have to be satisfied with a good old fashioned link to my favorite image:

    Drawing instruments from 1570 Oh. My. God. Please? I swear I'll draw perfectly period maps every day for the rest of my life if only I could possess these fine tools. Sigh. Covet, covet, covet.

    Want more images of period Maps? Clicketh, I say!
    Maps of the Early Medieval Period (400-1300 A.D.)
    Maps of the Late Medieval Period (1300 - 1500 A.D.)

    Now, if you are interested in 3D models of castles, you definitely want to visit
    Google Earth 3D Models and Placemarks, where there are several historic sites (so far, mostly in the UK) that you can download and view in Google Earth.

    Technology and maps! Two great tastes that taste great together! Techno-cartography!

    Don't you just HATE it when advertising slogans pop up at the worst moments? Trouble is, I can't even remember what they were selling....

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.