Tweets, for your perusal...

    follow me on Twitter

    Like this blog? Help support it!

    Things I like on Etsy

    Tuesday, March 07, 2006

    Multiple Persona Disorder and other interesting news

    Some of you who knew me waaaay back when I started in the SCA might remember how completely obsessed I was with Celtic stuff. I filled my library with countless reference books, taught classes on Celtic knotwork technique and even played the Bodhran.

    But, after many years, I was eventually seduced away from the tunics, the plaids, the fibula pins...and I turned to the 'Middle Eastern' side. Since starting fencing a few years back, I've added another element to my persona, that of the Cavalier. I have accumulated a rather large and confusing mix of SCA things to support my MPD (Multiple Persona Disorder), and it's nearing time to clean out my closets.

    I've decided that when I move to the Barony of Caerthe (within the next month or so) I'll be selling a bunch of SCA stuff that I no longer need. There will be books. There will be garb. There will be actual period artifacts. I'll be posting links here on my blog back to an eBay store I'm setting up for this purpose.

    In other news....

    ...............................................................................
    Coinage of Pratsutagus, the husband of Boudicca

    I have read several fictional accounts of Boudicca, the Queen of the Iceni. "The Eagle and the Raven" by Pauline Gedge was my favorite. But I digress...

    It seems that some coins found many years ago in Great Britain have turned up some evidence that her husband was a bit more Romanized than originally thought.

    I'll have to look at the Celtic coins I'll be selling soon. I might actually have one of these.

    ...............................................................................
    Unearthed Mural in Mexico shows both Christian and Aztec influence

    We all know that
    Hernan Cortes and his Spanish troops conquered the Aztecs in 1521. They forever changed "
    The New World". (Hmmmm, I still need to see that movie...)

    One of the earliest surviving works from the period was probably painted by Aztec artists who were educated at an unusual college set up by Franciscan monks for the children of Indian nobles.


    From the Lansing State Journal.com article: "The vivid scene of animals real and mythical cavorting around the edge of lakes that once shimmered in Mexico City was painted by Aztec Indians in the early 1530s during a rare, brief moment of tolerance in an era when Spaniards were obliterating Aztec culture to cement their own rule."

    It's a nice long read. Check it out.

    ...............................................................................
    Salvatore's Historical Yellow Pages

    I missed finding a printed copy of Salvatore's Historical Yellow Pages at Estrella War. Want one? They are FREE, and you only pay for shipping!

    Don't want another phone book? His searchable online version is anachro-licious!

    ...............................................................................
    Sharks with Frickin' Laser Beams!!

    Apparently, they are not as science-fiction as we think.

    Ok, so what relevance does this have to the SCA? None.

    Let's keep it that way, shall we?


    ...............................................................................

    That's all for now.

    The internet is lovely, dark, and deep,

    But I have boxes to pack,
    And food to eat before I sleep,
    And food to eat
    before I sleep...

    Sorry Robert Frost. You must be turning in your grave.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.